Roller skating is a great way to get exercise–you can burn about 482 calories an hour on quad skates! It’s good for your legs, back, lungs, and heart. It’s also a super fun social activity. But what if you don’t know how to skate, or just aren’t sure about your technique? Here are some easy tips to get you started.
- Make Sure Your Skates Fit! Skates that are too tight or too loose will not help you at all. Talk to an employee for help getting the right skates for you.
- Lean Forward! It’s natural to lean back when you feel you’re about to fall over, but this isn’t always helpful. Actually, the best way to keep your balance on roller skates is to bend your knees like you’re sitting on an invisible chair, and lean forward. A lower center of gravity will help keep you upright.
- Learn How to Fall! It’s bound to happen, so you’d best know how to do is safely. Most times when we fall, we instinctively try to catch ourselves with our hands. This can seriously damage your wrists, hands, and fingers. Lanham Skate Center skate lessons are a great place to learn more about how to fall safely.
- Practice Regularly! Just like with any sport or activity, the more you work at it the better you’ll get. Check our hours for times that work best for you.
- Relax! The biggest hurdle to getting better at skating is usually our own fears. Relax and focus on having fun, and you’ll suddenly find it much easier!
Lanham Skate Center lessons allow you to practice your skills and learn new ones in a safe, fun, non-judgemental atmosphere. Sign up today and let’s get you started on the road to being a great skater!